How to Create a Group Email in Gmail Quickly
Create an email group the instant you find that you are mailing the same bunch of people often. An email group is what it says on the tin—a bunch of email addresses that can share a common conversation. So open your Gmail inbox and follow the steps below.
1. Log into Google Contacts with your Gmail account.
2. Select the contacts you want to group with a checkmark against their names and email addresses on the list. I have blurred the email IDs in the screenshot below.
3. Click the Groups icon on the top (the icon with three stick heads) to show a dropdown menu.
4. In this drop-down menu, select an existing group or click Create new to place these contacts into their own unique list.
5. Enter a unique name for the new group in the New group dialog that pops up.
6. Click OK to save the email group. The group now appears on the left side of the screen, under “My Contacts”. You can also spot a label with the group name against their names on the contacts list.
Use the Search Box to Create a Common Group
The Google Contacts search box is another quick way to create an emailing group. If you have most of the contact information organized in Google Contacts, then you can organize a group around any search criteria.
For instance, in the screenshot below, I used a keyword from the Notes field to find my friends who work in information technology.
Then, it is just a matter of selecting the contacts and creating a new group or adding the members to an old one.
You can use any criteria to create a common list. For instance, a list of members from the same country, or with the same last name. This is why you should keep your Google Contacts clean and tidy.
How to Add Contacts to an Email Group
These specific email groups are one of the secrets to inbox organization. So keep adding new contacts to the right groups and you won’t have to do rummage through the list of addresses every time. You can add contacts to an email group from the master My Contacts list or from within a group with a couple of clicks.
Here’s how to do it from inside a group.
1. Select the group from the left sidebar.
2. Click the icon with a single stick head that says Add to “Group Name”.
3. Type their name in the text box and pick the email address suggested by Gmail. Click Add. If they have multiple emails, Google picks the first one listed for the contact.
How to Delete Contacts from an Email Group
You might have added a wrong contact, or you just want to shuffle a few members around. Remove a member from an email group by just de-selecting them. Here’s how in six steps.
- Select and open the group from the left sidebar of Google Contacts.
- Select one or more contacts you want to remove with a checkmark against their names.
- Click the Groups button on top.
- Uncheck the checkbox for the group you want to remove them from.
- Click Apply from that drop-down menu.
- The contacts should immediately be removed from the list and Gmail displays a small notification at the top of the screen to confirm it. You can choose to undo it within a few seconds if you want.